Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Dawn of Discovery

This one is from awhile ago, but since my PC was wiped I lost the save and all the screenshots.


The Imperial Cathedral, in all it's splendor and glory.  The amount of nobles you need, not to even mention their seemingly endless list of demands, is mind boggling.  This was my largest noble district at the end of the Master Builder scenario.  One objective was to build the cathedral, the other was to pack 5000 nobles on to a single island.  Not an easy feat, especially once you begin to understand the ins and outs of how this game works.  The amount of things they demand quickly becomes a pain, not to even mention that space is of course the most precious resource of all.  Aside from multiplayer with a friend, I haven't tried it with Venice expansion yet.


The shot above shows my massive, and I do mean massive, production district.  Situated on the north west corner of the island, everything was made here.  Raw materials such as wheat, hemp, beef, salt, etc. all had to be carried in by ship.  I arranged this district, at least at the start, with the idea of keeping market buildings as close as possible to every production building.  That went out the window as demand shot up for this, or down for that.  The nice thing is that you can idle unnecessary buildings, thus lowering maintenance costs if money is a problem.  Master Builder is played on easy difficulty, so you don't have to worry about Corsairs demanding to paid off or they start sinking ships.


Combat in Dawn of Discovery is pretty non-existent, at least for me.  Granted that on Master Builder I probably wasn't intended to see much, but even on the medium sandbox game I played before I never once had to move troops or attack the AI players.  All combat was confined to the ocean, and it was always against the Corsairs.  I'm not really complaining, as there's so much going on in Dawn of Discovery I don't know where I'd have time to fit combat in.