Thursday, September 23, 2010

All roads lead to Rome...

At least in my game they do.  It's been several hundred years since the war with Persia ended.  We've managed to keep a steady alliance all the while massing troops on our respective borders.  It's the end of the 1920s; dirt roads have given way to rail lines, with small towns evolving into bustling cities.  Skyscrapers and factories decorate Rome now, but much of the rural area is still used for farming.


Peace lasted for quite a while, at least during the time I was building up my cities and researching new technology.  I began to go around to all my cities and switch their focus to production, which did serious damage to not only my tax revenue but scientific research.  It was needed, because otherwise it was taking way to long to build anything in all but my most production heavy cities.  America was pretty weak, I asked my military adviser about their army and he just laughed.  Persia and I had just signed a cooperation agreement, so I felt secure enough to move most of my forces down to my southern border.  New York fell first, then Washington, Boston, and so on.  Like a row of dominoes all lined up, I moved in my infantry units with cannons for support and they couldn't do anything to stop me.  They didn't even have guns, so honestly it didn't feel fair.  I guess I can't be blamed if they didn't bother to do any research.


I've also met a couple new friends from across the sea, so in the interim I've again switched back to producing military units instead of buildings.  By this time most of the unrest in the conquered American cities to the south had all but disappeared.  Legions of workers were moving across the wilds building farms, mines, trading posts, you name it.  My first oil derrick was just finished, so I finally have the oil I need to start building fighters and destroyers.  I think I'll focus on controlling my entire continent, at least before I decide to start moving troops across the ocean.


After over 300 turns, it feels like the game is only just getting started.