Monday, April 18, 2011

Mass Effect 2

I awake in a recovery room, on what appears to be some sort of military or scientific research station. I can hear a woman’s voice over the intercom telling me to get up and get moving, the facility is under attack and she will help me escape. She tells me her name is Miranda, and then advises that I head for the equipment locker to get some suitable gear. I’m not completely sure how I arrived here, where here even is, or if I trust Miranda, but I don’t have any choice.


The armor isn’t much, but it slips on easy and should provide some damage protection. There’s also a pistol in the locker, not my first choice but it will have to do. I hear weapon fire coming from just outside the room, the doors slide open as I duck behind cover.


Two hacked mechs immediately open fire as they enter. I pop up from cover and blow off the first mech’s head, then hit the other several times before it explodes. There’s no time to waste, so I head out into the hallway and up some nearby stairs.


I fight my way through several more mechs, rounding corners and running up stairs as I go. So far they’ve only been the small kind, lightly armored and easy to take down. As I head down a long hallway I hear screams for help, then turn just in time to see one of the crew blasted by a security mech. They are much tougher and armed with heavy weapons, but luckily it can’t get to me.


I round another corner and head up yet another set of stairs, this time leading to a large open room. I run into another member of the crew, this one in a different uniform. He says his name is Jacob and that he is a biotic working with Miranda. He’s surprised to see me up and about, but we don’t have much time to talk. The far door opens and several of the smaller mechs pour in, Jacob and I both dive for cover.


We’re able to take the first couple of them down, but more arrive.  Their constant fire has us pinned down, and leaving cover to take aim means getting shot.  Jacob jumps up and quickly hits them with his biotic power, then I open fire and finish them off.



With the immediate threat out of the way, I decide it’s time to get some answers. Jacob tells me that this facility is owned by Cerberus, and that they’ve spent the last two years reviving me using my DNA. Before I can get any more answers, Miranda’s voice comes over the communications network. She’s cut off and needs assistance; Jacob says we have to move now to help her. I'm not really into helping others, but since she's the only person who knows a way off this station I don't have much choice.


As we leave I turn to remind Jacob that I don't take orders, I give them, and that he would do well to remember that.